WeWriWa 2/2/2020 - Defender of the Faith (Draculesti Dynasty #1)

Welcome back for the next excerpt from Defender of the Faith (Draculesti Dynasty #1). We are still in my throes of the first section of my reader letter, which outlines why Dracula? Why this book? Why in the world would I write something positive about someone that, through history, has been little more than a devil?

In the reader letter, I answer these questions and more and prove that, just as the narrator stated in the opening lines of Braveheart, history is written by those who've hanged heroes. Perhaps that is the case for Vlad Draculea III of Wallachia.


Most boys, Wallachian and European, turned while under Turkish (Ottoman) rule and became Janissaries, or members of an army of foreign boys loyal to the Turkish cause.
Vlad’s younger brother, Radu the Handsome, was imprisoned along with Vlad. Not long after their arrival, Radu became a favorite of the Sultan, Mehmed II, and shifted his loyalty to the side of the Turks, leaving Vlad to endure the hellish captivity and experiences on his own, with only his Catholic faith to lean on. Vlad’s experiences while in Ottoman captivity that are detailed in this book, while fictionalized, are based on real events detailed by Vlad and historians alike. When Vlad’s captivity was over, he held fast to his Catholic faith and left his little brother, now a lover of the Sultan and a practicing Muslim, in Turkey.

That's it, folks! I hope you enjoyed this week's excerpt from my reader letter!

Come on over to my website to check out more of my work, including paranormal thrillers and Amish romances!

23 comments:

  1. I think I missed it--is this a WIP? I am SO hooked, already. I really want to read this book.

    Another excellent snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! This is a completed MS currently looking for a home and first in a trilogy!

      Delete
  2. Interesting history indeed! Thanks for sharing all of this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A different take on Dracula's history. Can't wait until you get to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know very little about the real Dracula, but all of this is quite believable to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed! This man lived a fascinating life, to say the least!

      Delete
  5. It's fascinating to learn the history of Vlad, this must have taken a lot of research!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Joining scholastic Dracula research groups was quite fun! And eye catching on the website . . . "Romance Writers of America . . . Writes Amish Fiction . . . Transylvanian Society of Dracula . . ." haha

      Delete
  6. I think this is so interesting. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting background. As a reader, the line of based on actual events intrigued me. Made me wonder if the facts would be indeed true or if the narrator would turn out unreliable. I’ve read too many suspense books! Anyway that line really caught my attention and made me motivated to continue reading.

    Keep smiling,
    Yawatta

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read a lot of Dracula history, but I've never read one that focused on his catholic faith. I'll be interested to read your take on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent job, Sara. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He had an interesting history for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes! Historical accounts of Vlad are always fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Writer Wednesday - T.M. Caruana

Today we welcome the talented, and prolific author, T.M. Caruana to the blog for #WriterWednesday! Click on these hot book covers to ...